Monday, August 15, 2016

The Hardest Things Was Finding The Shells


And I actually was not the one who found them, my sister got them for me from a place that sells oysters.

 I washed the shells in hot water with a bit of bleach and when they were almost dry I put them in the oven at 175 degrees to finish. I wanted to add a bit of heat to make sure there was no beach scent.
I didn't scrub the backs too much, I was liking the colour and want them to look real (since they are LOL).

 I attached the wicks with my hot glue gun, larger shells got two wicks.
 
 If you don't have wicks you can pull some wicks out of the cheap unscented tea lites that you can get in bulk, they should be long enough.
Now for the wax. I melted 5.5 oz of Soy Wax Flakes. I usually melt 6.5 oz for a 250ml jar and I didn't think I need that much for these shells. If you want to know exactly how much you need, fill the shells with water and then empty all of them in to a measuring cup. You should put water in the shells anyway to see how the wax will sit. I found a few shells not suitable after filling with water.
To the soy wax flakes I added 1/2 a tube of Oatmeal Cookie Soy Wax Beads, so that was another ounce of wax. The wax beads added a bit of scent and the sandy colour I wanted. I added 1 teaspoon of additional fragrance and I did have a bit of wax left over, better than not enough! I melted the wax in a microwave, two 45 second blasts did the job.

You can see I over filled the shell on the left, would have been OK if it wasn't broken. That's the one I lit (at the top of this post), since I'm keeping it.
 
The Soy Wax Beads I have in other colours and fragrances, they are not listed but if you want/need they are $2.00 for a 2.3oz tube.
 
I think these would be great for a summer party or wedding. Thanks for looking!


No comments:

Post a Comment