Friday, July 31, 2015

Little Lemongrass Bars

 This is a new to me mold that I received in June and just got around to trying. I was so excited to find a mold with dividers, there are two sets of dividers, one going the width of the mold as pictured here, and also a set going the length of the mold. 
I made a batch of Lemongrass scented soap, split it in half and coloured each half a different shade of green. I filled each slot with alternating greens, but not without some difficulty. The dividers are held in place at the top but not the bottom, so as I was filling each slot the bottom of the divider was moving and soap was running under the divider.
It took a bit of time too, so my soap was thickening as I was filling the mold. This ( I think) contributed to the amount of soap that was WASTED. You see, once the mold is filled the dividers have to be removed. A lot of soap was on the dividers when I pulled them out and I had my sink full warm water to plunk them into. Even if I'd had a few molds to scrape the soap into I don't know if I would have taken the time, my soap had gotten really thick by then, too thick to do the swirl top that I had planned.
And now look how my mold is only half full, that's why I'm calling these Little Lemongrass Bars, the mold was filled almost to the top with the dividers in it, not so much once the dividers were removed.
Here are the final bars. As you can see on the top I just did a simple swirl with a skewer and the colours ended up melding together. I could have made this soap is a simple drawer organizer but I will try this mold again. Maybe I did something wrong? Any ideas, let me know:)
Thanks for stopping by!


Friday, July 24, 2015

Rainbow Rose Soap

I've made another Melt & Pour soap project with my new Rose Silicone soap mold. I'm really happy that it turned our the way I had pictured it, that doesn't always happen. The three colours of glycerin soap were melted separately in measuring cups, there were only about 3.5 squares of each colour, I only wanted 1/2 pound total in glycerin soap. For the goat milk soap base I melted 1 pound. I poured the goat milk soap in to the mold and then poured one colour at a time, you can see the order in the picture. I normally would have tried pouring all the colours at once but I worked fast and it worked our pretty good! I scented with goat milk soap with English Rose fragrance.

My favorite parts are the purple and pink. I used coloured glycerin soap but added some purple mica to the purple and had to make my own orange by adding orange colourant to some yellow soap.
I still need to trim the bottoms a little but I think the side view has a nice rainbow effect too. Now I really need to try a cold process recipe in this mold! 

Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, July 2, 2015

A New Soap Mold

I received in June a new silicone soap mold with a beautiful rose design.
This mold is about the same size as a 24 inch drawer organizer and holds just slightly less , so when I melted 2lbs of soap to make what's pictured here I had a little left over. This soap is fragranced with English Rose fragrance.

Here's another one I made in a solid colour and I had the good sense to weigh it before it was cut. The soap is 1 pound 9 ounces (25 ounces total) so I think for melt & pour 1.5 lbs would fill it almost to the top. For the second soap I was going for a peachy colour and I scented it with Rose Geranium essential oil and Fuzzy Peach fragrance oil.
Here's the mold,  the sides are nice and thick but I had to shore them up by placing books on either side of the mold. The mold sagged out ever so slightly after I poured the soap in and I was kind of disappointed. I contacted the maker of the mold and was told they had shipped a thin piece of plastic that fit inside the top of the mold after it was filled. This "lid" keeps the mold nice and square. I don't remember seeing it and if it was really thin I may have pitched it in to the recycling with the bubble wrap:( I'm going to see if I can get another one, or maybe make one.
I have another mold to try out that comes with dividers and is only suitable for cold process soap. I'll get on that soon I hope! Thanks for looking!