Monday, September 29, 2014

Pumpkin Soap 2014


(Yikes, this closeup shows little white bits where the Titanium Dioxide didn't blend, it doesn't show so much in real life, I think I enhanced it when I was editing the photo:)
 

Recipe for a 3lb batch:
300 grams Coconut Oil
298 grams Palm Oil
385 grams Olive Oil
60 grams Pumpkinseed Oil
152 grams Sodium Hydroxide
300 grams Distilled Water
70 grams Pumpkin Puree (Canned Pumpkin)
30 grams of Cream or 1/2 & 1/2
 
The 1st four items are the oil portion of your soap. Get the lye/water portion ready first by adding the lye to the water and setting it aside to cool. While that is cooling gently melt your solid oils and add the liquids, and blend the pumpkin & cream together in a small container, I use glass because I warm it a little in the microwave. I tried to work at around 90 degrees ( pumpkin tends to create a lot of heat), so once everything has cooled to around there, heat your pumpkin mixture a little and then add the lye mixture and the pumpkin mixture to your oils and blend to trace.
 
Optional: I used 4 tsp of Pumpkin Crunch Cake fragrance plus 1 tsp of Clove essential oil for fragrance. This was added at trace and didn't seem to accelerate the trace or cause any extra heat. However, after the soap was in the mold for 45 minutes ,I felt the outside of the mold and it was hot. I popped it in the fridge for an hour and then took it back out. I wasn't worried about gelling , I didn't want the top to crack!
 
Also Optional: I usually don't colour my pumpkin soap but I wanted to do a bit of a top layer and was wanting contrast so I removed about a cup of soap and lightened it with some Titanium Dioxide and to the remaining soap I added a pinch of bronze mica.
 
You can see in the pictures that I poured the large amount of soap into my mold and then carefully added the lighter soap. I did a teeny bit of swirling with a coat hanger, still practicing that technique.
 
There's a picture below of a Pumpkin soap without any colour or layering and a slightly different recipe linked here. You don't need Pumpkinseed oil for this one and the batch is around 4lb.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment