Friday, May 21, 2010

Ribbon Frugality

Have you ever gotten near the end of one of your favorite rolls of ribbon and then wondered why you've been using it with such wild abandon? The flowered ribbon on these soaps is/was not only my favorite, but also kind of a splurge- a little more pricey than what I usually use. So when I was nearing the end of these rolls I decided to do what I should have done in the first place and be a little more frugal. An all around wrap with a plain ribbon and then a tie on with some of the fancy is "almost" as nice. Its also a great way to incorporate a two colour theme for a wedding or shower etc. That way you can justify your (or in this case my) stingyness with the fancy stuff.
I really do heart the way these Blackberry Sage soaps look with the purple ribbon wrapped all the way around. Can you see I was using the ribbon with wild abandon? To make this soap I placed the Mold Market loaf mold on my cutting board and propped one side up with a few slabs of soap. My first pour was 20 ounces of glycerin melt & pour with some lime green colourant and a handfull of goat milk melt and pour that I had cut into little curls plus 2 tsp of blackberry sage fragrance. Since this is a fair amount of soap you have to patiently let it set up until it has a very thick skin on it. Then you can put the cutting board flat and do the second pour, which in my case was the same as the first only with purple colour instead of green. Don't forget to generously spray the soap in the mold with rubbing alcohol before doing the second pour. If you want to add little soap curls to your melt and pour, be aware that they my clump up a little. Use a chopstick or toothpick to break them up if they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment